Volunteer opportunities, generally November-February, for prescribed burning of longleaf pine, loblolly pine, and grassland habitats. Upcoming events: burns at various sites as weather permits.
- Fire line maintenance
- Prior to the burn, prune branches encroaching into fire line.
- Guard perimeter of burn to ensure fire does not cross fire line.Flap or rake out flames that cross fire line.
- Water, backpack sprayer
- Use 50-lb. backpack sprayer to douse flames crossing fire line or during mop up at the end of the burn.
- Water, ATV
- Operate ATV with water sprayer to douse flames crossing fire line or during mop up at the end of the burn.
- Drip torch operator
- At the direction of the burn manager, operate drip torch to light fire on site.
If you have questions or are interested in volunteering call at (843) 462-2150 or email Mark Musselman.